Wednesday, April 30, 2014

How do you expect to get full time results with half time efforts?



"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go".
 – T. S. Eliot


The Day I left my Preschool job to pursue my photography career full time was indeed the best choice I could have ever made. No doubt a scary and uncertain choice, but as I look back, through that 20/20 hindsight, it was the ONLY thing I could have done to propel my business to the level it is currently pushing.

Today I was dropping my daughter off at school for her book report performance, as we drove she reviewed what she had prepared,  and I could tell from her shortness with me,  she was nervous. The moment had come where she had to deliver, in front of her peers, what she has learned and she wanted it to be perfect.  I could see the stress striking out of her eyes, like daggers as I gave her kind and gentle suggestions, I wasn't sure that her head wouldn't start spinning. It was clear my ideas, well, to be nice, were NOT what she wanted to hear. As I drove away, she calmed, smiled and gave me our traditional I love you sign. My heart melted, like it always does and I knew she was going to do her best because she had put so much time, effort and commitment into what she was doing. While thinking of her, I quickly drew a correlation to what I do in my career. What I had done, by going into this full time. 

I had this small moment, where I saw myself as Allison, and then I pictured her doing her book report and only giving it a part time effort and how different the results would have been. And of course this thought led me to what I used to do, as a preschool teacher, and how if I had done it only part time, what that would have looked like. Then of course my brain hit the stop sign, the brakes flew on and I imagined myself only doing my photography job "part-time" what I saw in that moment, was scary and it would never encompass the opportunities, bookings, successes, failures, experiences that I have and will be having with my business.

I started thinking about all the day to days that I do in my full time job as a photographer, that would be CUT by doing this only part time. The only word that comes to mind when I do think about pursuing my business part time is : FAILURE.

How could I give the clients the attention and time they need, part time?
How could edit and process images in a timely manner, Part time?
How could I expect to get paid what I am worth, Part time?
How could I establish myself as a true business owner, Part time?
How could I stay up to par with my social media site, Part time?
How could I market to my full extent, part time?
How could I keep on top of new methods in my competition, Part time?
How could I keep myself on the top of my business with new education or training, Part time?
How could I keep on top the latest products, Part time?
Plus Many more...


If you have read all of these, and you are saying that you are part time and doing them, stop you are lying to yourself. This business Takes a FULL time commitment with a FULL time work schedule to be successful in what you do! Stop kidding yourself, stop staying up to 2am editing your photos, stop missing out on your time, because your attempting to do 2 full time jobs! If you want to be successful, in a way that you cannot imagine or compare, start putting all of you efforts, all of your dreams, all of your passion into your career! Your passion will intensify, your product will improve, your ability will sky rocket! Stop spreading yourself and your talents to thin, that you are unable to do anyone of them without conviction! Stop kidding yourself, and start making your dream business your career, and your passion! 


Taking the chance and pursuing a career in something you love, takes full time commitment, if you want FULL time results! If you are on the fence, JUMP it! Please take the chance to see your business bloom and blossom in a way that is only possible if you hit your dream HEAD on! Taking risks comes with wins and loses, that is how we learn, but please, take the step. Live you dream, to the fullest potential possible! 

No comments:

Post a Comment